Thursday 10 March 2011

Vi Vi Introduces The Always Unprofessional

The Always Unprofessional is a solo artists from Lichfield UK. He has been writing and recording for 15 years starting at school with his band Chutney Ferret where he caught the music bug. He then went on to join two over bands in the Lichfield area called Turner and Weasel which received a general following from the public. He run two near by venues "The Carpenters Arms" and "The Paradise Lounge". He has always had a hand in local bands and he occasionally hosts events, In 2010 he hosted the Lichfield Festival which lead to him renewing his interest in recording music also due to figuring out how to use Garage Band on his Mac computer. The name The Always Unprofessional comes from an incident that happen in his words "the name 'The Always Unprofessional" was coined at the event after one particularly colourful swearing fit was witnessed by a room full of children. I will forever be introduced as "The Always Unprofessional Jof Walters". 
These are the rules of song writing The Always unprofessional follows. 
1) It cant take too much time away from my family or my work (I own a large investment business) 
2) I'm doing it for my own enjoyment. If it makes me happy, then I'll keep doing it, when it starts to get me down I'll stop.
3) I don't try to hard to perfect songs. They are ideas. I'll record them properly, mix them properly etc later
4) Middle eights bamboozle me, so I don't write middle eights.
As you can see Jof has been involved in all forms of music from recording, gigging hosting and helping acts in the same area as him. I have been following The Always Unprofessional also known as unpro on Soundcloud since i joined the site. He seems to me to have a skill for song writing arranging and producing something different. He has a different way of doing things and its refreshing. He uses a mac and a battered Strat as his only instruments (another artist i have featured that will use what ever is at there finger tips to create a song). He proves like many others you do not need loads of fancy equipment and have loads of money to make music. Jof is a busy man with a family that comes first but music will always in my opinion play a huge part of his life. I feel privileged to be able to discover such a raw talent and pick up tips and learn from such an experienced musician. He has also played a huge support for me and for other users of soundcloud. It was an honor to feature one my favorite tracks "Black Ground" on the "Vi Vi Introduces Podcast"  and his mini updates (podcasts) he puts out every now and again have been refreshing and thankful to fellow artists. I respect Jof and all his musical ventures and wish him all the best with what ever he decides to do next. i ask Jofstar a few questions to helps learn more about him.

Q1) Have you always seen you self making music ? 
Yep. I'm that kid that was desperate to be a rockstar from the age of about 13. I used to play my guitar in the big bay window at home so that the people walking by outside could be my "Audience". As soon as I could play a gig, I did. It was horrible..
Q2) what artists inspire you and why ? 
I looked through my iTunes and apparently my biggest influences are 90's grunge bands (Dinosaur Jr, Mudhoney), American Alternative Bands (The Replacements, Beat Happening), Lo-Fi Bands (Deus, Pavement, Guided by Voices) and a fistful of depressing balladeers (Cash, Cohen, Waits, Brel, Springsteen). I also listen to about 300 new bands a month thanks to the great Blalock and Soundcloud and most of my ideas are drawn from that.
Q3) How have you found soundcloud ? 
I like soundcloud. It's made my life loads easier. I can get feedback on my music from hundreds of people without having to gig (which takes up time and requires a band (more time). If it had more ways of communicating with folk that would be good, but then who needs another Facebook?
Q4) Where would you like to see your music take you ? 
I'm happy right here! I'm currently on my Sofa watching kids TV with the family. If I can have that and my music, well thats living the dream.
Q5) Whats your Favorite song at the moment ?
Anything by the band Dawes. When My Time Comes is just awesome. Also I like Somewhere Out There as performed by Troy and Abed from Community!
Q6) What made you want to create and write music ?
 I make music because the beautiful Sophie Wiseman had band names on her pencil case when we were about 14. I figured if I made music it might (through some convoluted logic) lead to me snogging Sophie Wiseman. I have been making music for twenty years and, so far, I have not snogged Sophie Wiseman. Fortunately my love of writing songs has long since replaced my juvenile sexual urges.

Q7) Who would you most like to meet in the music world and why?

Well I used to want to get all the members of Bewitched in bed at once.... I cant think of anyone I haven't met that I'd want to. I'm always terrified they wont live up to my expectations.

Jof is indeed living the dream being able to write produce and upload tracks with out having to leave his family. I can only hope who ever reads will enjoy his music as much as i do 

much love from me to you 
Vi Vi 


Heroins by The Always Unprofessional

No comments:

Post a Comment