Wednesday 2 March 2011

Vi Vi Introduces Nigel Mines

Nigel Mines like a lot of independent artists works on a standard home computer to create his music, He writes he sings and he produces he sometimes gets help from a buddy. He does what he can with what he has at his disposal. Nigel writes with such passion, detail and depth. Nigel is from the UK close to the town of Bath and his studio is situated on the landing. With all the detail in his song writing Nigel stands out from the crowd with the way he delivers his musical vision. Nigel also likes to collaborate with other soundclouders to create a completely different sound. Nigel is not afraid to try new things and experiments with sound. As i was going through the many artists from sound cloud i was blown away by how talented this man is and his writing skills and attention to detail makes him a firm favourite of mine. I can only hope that others agree with my judgement and listen to his work i think you will be pleasantly surprised. Nigel Mines song "Crumble" is featured in the first Vi Vi introduces podcast / radio show.  I asked Nigel some question to help you get to know him a little better and know the musical talent that he has been inspired by. 

Q1) Have you always seen you self making music ? 
I've played an instrument of some sort since I was about 7 or 8, but only discovered writing when I learned the guitar in my teens. Since then I have always written and consider myself a songwriter first, even though I don't make any money from this
 
Q2) What artists inspire you and why ?
 I love songs that are about important things or that make you think, or even change the way you think, about the world, so I am inspired by people who write songs that do these things. There are too many to list them all, but some long term inspirations include: Thom York, Nick Cave, Rufus Wainwright, Karen Carpenter, Neil Young, Peter Gabriel 

Q3) How have you found soundcloud ?
 Good and bad. It's amazing to think that there are people all over the world listening to my music, and not just on line, they have actually downloaded it to their iPod and listen to my stuff in the street or in the car! that just blows my mind! And I've built up a loyal following of people who have heard something good in my music - something I didn't really believe was there until I uploaded it. This has given me great confidence to go forward, and the timed feedback to specific parts of a song means that I can refine my song writing skills and write better and better songs. It's also been great to listen to other people's music and draw inspiration, and even collaborate with them and produce something completely unique. I wish I had more time to do this. The downside is that I get deflated when a song I upload doesn't get the amount of listens or comments that I think it should and I sometimes see this as measure of how good (or bad) the song is, when really I shouldn't. It's a bit pot luck sometimes and depends on when and how you upload it as to how many people see it and listen. 

Q4) Where would you like to see your music take you ?
 I would love to have my music professionally recorded and produced, and be able to perform to audience - maybe even have people PAY to hear me :-) 

Q5) What is your favourite song at the moment ?
 Almost impossible to answer. I'm not getting much free time to listen to what's really new at the moment. My fav song ever would probably be Yes by McAlmont and Butler! 

Q6) What made you want to create and write music?
I believe art in all its forms should stimulate us to think about things differently and that's what drives me, also it's a great therapy to write about important things that have affected me. Although my songs aren't strictly autobiographical, they always contain some elements of something I have directly experienced or what I imagine I would feel in a particular situation 

Q7) Who would you most like to meet in the music world and why ? 
I ought to say someone like Thom York, but that would be so embarrassing for both of us and they always say that meeting your heroes is not as exciting as you think it'll be. I'd end up making a complete fool of myself. I think I would most like to meet the person who listens to my music and says 'that's the best thing i've heard in ages' and gives me a record deal! :-) Maybe Nick Cave would be cool to meet, he's a pretty chilled guy.

As you can see Nigel is a very passionate artists and makes music for the sheer joy and happiness it brings us all.  I hope you enjoy Nigels music as much as i do and i hope you will check him out. 
Much Love from me to you 
Vi Vi
PS: Thank you for reading :-)  
Crumble by Nigel Mines

1 comment:

  1. Cool... "Yes" by McAlmont and Butler!!! One of my favourite songs ever. Good to have some love for that song!

    ReplyDelete